Ideally, potential clients show up to the consultation with a thorough understanding of what a Doula is and does. They understand the power, magic, and beauty of what you do (your value)… and KNOW that you’re a critical member of the birth team.
If you’re at a consultation and they don’t already fully understand…
- What it is that you even do or what your “role” is…
- The specific results and outcomes they can expect by way of working with you…
- Your value (they need to be “convinced” that you’re worth it)…
Then babe, you’ve got a…
- Major website problem
- A big ole marketing issue
- A poopy pre-qualification process
- A glitch in your client attraction strategy￼
Or all of the above.
Contrary to popular belief… the consultation is NOT a “get to know you” or a “let’s see if we’re a good fit” session. This is the Big Myth I want to bust!
They should already know, love, and trust you from your marketing efforts, sales funnels, and your website.
It’s also not a “can you explain what you do and how you can help us?” session.
If you have even a half-way decent marketing strategy and website, they should already know what a doula does and how a doula can help them.
Lastly, they should have nearly all of their FAQ’s addressed and answered before the consult. If you’re getting asked the same questions over and over again at consults, be sure to include that info on the FAQ page of your website and in your Services and Pricing Guide.
The future I envision for you looks like this…
- You have an exciting but thorough pre-qualification process. It filters out all of the “tire kickers”, “brain pickers” and discount seekers. The only people that make it through the filter are your soulmate/dream clients.
- Your website thoroughly and pre-emptively addresses any and all questions and objections they may have. All of their questions and objections have been met head-on, before the consult. They’re only meeting you to see if there’s chemistry. But, they already know that there’s some chemistry, because they’ve been totally enjoying your free, high-value marketing content… and through that, they feel like they know you energetically. This brings me to point #3
- Your marketing is authentic, soulful, and immensely helpful to them; your content attracts, entices, and engages the humans you most desire to collaborate with and it turns away those that aren’t a good fit.
With those pesky pre-qualification/website/marketing roadblocks removed, you can pretty much guarantee that the next time someone sits across the table from you during a consultation… it’s going to feel like pure magic.
Congrats on your new client!